Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Remembrance of Engines Past

We returned from our vacation on Saturday, and I am finally getting back into my usual routine. One curious note from the trip: my internal game clock seems to have started winding backwards. We took our laptop to the coast with us, and I spent my evenings playing . . . Baldur's Gate. Not Dark Alliance, not even Shadows of Amn -- I mean the maiden voyage of the vaunted Infinity Engine, screaming back at us from freaking 1998.

I found my CD-ROMs for the game while at my mother-in-law's house, which was a waypoint on our trip. Mostly on a lark, I decided to install it on our computer, convinced the processor would run the poor game too fast to be playable. I was astonished to learn that Baldur's Gate will still run on our twenty-first century machine; now I just leave the game speed at its default setting rather than cranking it to the maximum. This is quite cool, since I was never able to finish the game back in the day. Jumping back to the second edition D&D rules is sort of a mind-screw, but the gameplay is still very enjoyable.

When not wandering the Sword Coast, I have managed the completion of another couple of levels of Tomb Raider: Legend, as well as checking out the trial version of Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One. The latter is fun, but not quite worth twenty bucks, in my opinion. It should definitely win an award for 'shweetest name,' though.

No comments: