Monday, July 7, 2008

The Cheese Stands Alone (In a Perfect World, Anyway)

I believe I may have figured out the cause of my abandonment of Sands of Time. The last few sections of the game leave you without the ability to rewind time, so mistakes become much more annoying. The next-to-last combat in the game is also fairly lackluster, since it all but requires you to keep hitting the same two buttons in the same sequence until you are the only thing left moving. However, I can see now that the rest of the game more than makes up for that slightly irritating segment. The game's sequel, which took the combat system and injected enough steroids into it to kill a sperm whale, was much less immersive. I still need to finish Warrior Within, but Sands of Time definitely left me wondering why the game industry feels a need to franchise every awesome title which comes out. While I candidly admit that I have not fully experienced the storyline of the second and third games in the series, I can say that the first game would have stood brilliantly had it been the only title.

This week, I hope to get more of a chance to play some Deus Ex. I might also pop Warrior Within into the Wii; at the very least, the poor thing needs to be reminded I have not forgotten it.

Have a great week, and may your discs dodge the dust like they have their own dodge buttons.

No comments: