Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Could I Enjoy This?

I finished Braid last night, and the experience was more than worth the price of admission. As others have noted, the final (gameplay) level of the game is mind-blowing. Apparently, some people find the game to be more than a little self-important. Like N'Gai Croal, I disagree with that sentiment; Braid merely takes itself seriously in a realm not known for gravity.

Over the weekend, I spent some time with the non-campaign multiplayer of Halo 3 while visiting family. Since my brother-in-law's console is not connected to Xbox Live, this was restricted to local matches against him and his two daughters. I was rather surprised to learn that I enjoyed that more than the campaign. As I have noted before, this might stem from my lack of foreknowledge of the series' ongoing plot, or it may be a consequence of the game's indecision on how serious the campaign's tone is supposed to be. My time with the shooting and the smacking and the whatnot has left me wondering if I would actually like playing a shooter online. Make no mistake -- I have no intention of running to purchase Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4 to become a deathmatch junkie. However, since I already own Team Fortress 2, I may give that a spin when I fire up my Live membership cards.

Game well, and may your sights aim true.

No comments: