Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I Neglected to Mention . . .

In case you failed to notice the shift in my drive contents, I completed Portal. I actually played through the game twice, because my wife is a ardent puzzle-solver who struggles with three-dimensional movement. I can honestly say I have not laughed quite so hard at a game since I met Frank the ninja in Shadow Hearts: From the New World. The song that plays during the closing credits (and the accompanying ASCII code which displays) is pure genius, but that is only evident if you have actually finished the game. What follows is only for 'through' gamers, so highlight at your own peril. While I have no reason to believe the point of 'Still Alive' is prophecy, the song may ring true, even in our world. Like Pac-Man and Tetris, I have a feeling that Portal may outlive all of us. The game's mind-bending experience should be a must for anyone who can avoid motion sickness.

Upon completing Portal, I had planned to begin playing Too Human, but my plans have changed. My journey through Aperture Science was evidently some sort of electronic gateway drug, and I am now several hours into Half-Life 2. The game's pacing is brilliant, and it does NOT assume that you have made your own Gordon Freeman costume from cardboard and duct tape. I might pursue a PlayStation 2 copy of the original Half-Life eventually, just so I can get the full Black Mesa experience.

Game well, and may your next barrel take out multiple Barnacles.

No comments: