Monday, October 13, 2008

Return of the Old School

Among some other purchases with the rest of my birthday funds, my wife succumbed to the adorable cover art of Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon for the Wii. I think the original plan was for her to play it, but that went by the wayside somewhere between the store and the disc slot on our console. I have to admit, though, that I do enjoy the title on the whole. Underneath the cutesy exterior (leave it to the good folks at Square Enix to mash every ounce of juice out of the Wii's rooty-poo graphics processor) beats the heart of such classic fare as NetHack. This, for those in the know, means that the game can be maddeningly hard at times. While not quite as punishing as NetHack, Chocobo's Dungeon clearly stands in defiance of the current trend of success-oriented mainstream games. There is stuff to love in here, but you must go into the experience prepared to fail -- several times. Why would I want to subject myself to this in your spare time? I can only point here for those who seek the answers.

We also found, after several months of fruitless searching, a copy of Wii Fit. While I do not really consider it a game per se, I figured the occasion merited mentioning here. It has taught me that I am virtually incapable of shifting my weight; I am, it seems, a mighty sequoia when my feet touch the earth. To my surprise, it makes me look pretty good at yoga, which does not require massive amounts of balance-shifting. I managed to bring my Wii Fit Age down to 33 today (from a staggeringly bad 46), and the hilarity that ensues whenever I attempt the slalom or soccer minigames is probably worth the price of entry.

Game well this week, and may your next level leave you right next to the stairs.

No comments: