Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Don't Call It a Throwback

While waiting for an update to Dungeon Runners to install last night, I gave Mega Man 9 a spin. The guys at Penny Arcade probably summed up the experience best here. For all intents and purposes, the game acts as a time warp back to the glory days of the NES, complete with its penchant for mind-blowing difficulty. So far, I have managed to make it to one of the game's bosses, and I was crippled when I arrived. To make matters worse, I doubt the weapon I will get from her will do what I thought it would do to help me through another level. In other news, I feel really politically incorrect in pointing out that my first triumph in the game will most likely be the series' first female robot master. In Mega Man 9's defense, concessions have been made to give mortals a chance at completing the adventure; you can purchase items like extra lives, energy tanks, and special boots that save you from one landing on insta-death spikes. A part of me feels like using this resource is cheating -- that I should conquer this new frontier just as I did in the olden days. If I fail to convince myself otherwise, could someone please make sure I eat occasionally?

I still totally rock at Mega Man 2, though.

Game well, and may you find the optimal pattern for tackling your stages.

No comments: