Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Shortage of Time

Honestly, time has been a luxury for the past few days, so there has not been much gaming around my house. My focus has been divided between Half-Life 2, Mega Man 9, and Dungeon Runners. I am currently working my way through Ravenholm in Half-Life 2, which is fairly appropriate for the Halloween season. Creeping through a seemingly abandoned area can eat at your nerves, especially after a character looked toward its entrance earlier with nothing to say but, "We don't go there any more." Playing with the gravity gun is almost as cool as my Portal and Braid experiences; chucking boxes and barrels around the screen is great fun.

Star Trek Online has piqued my interest, because the developers (at present) seem to get the source material. If they can deliver on the promise of galactic exploration without typical MMO busy-work quests, I might have to pony up the cash to participate.

For the retro game fans out there, I found this blast from the past at the website for the Escapist. I played through the text adventure on Monday, and the puzzles require no Myst-style bizarro logic. While there, you might want to take a look at the site's "Unforgotten Realms" video series; the spoof of tabletop roleplaying is pretty entertaining.

Game well, and may you find all the right verbs.

No comments: