Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Plumbing the Murky Depths

I found a link to this article at Penny Arcade last week, so I thought I would link it here as well. I should warn you in advance that the site in question has a metric truckload of ads, so your browser will most likely choke for a while in its attempt to load everything. However, I found the information therein to be a fascinating (and accessible) look at the crumb trail which led to the Red Ring of Death phenomenon.

Last week, I downloaded the demo for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed off Xbox Live, and I finally got the chance to give it a whirl this afternoon. As a guy who has tried to use the Force to grab the remote or a soda more times than I can count, the game's concept has a intrinsic appeal to me. However, the control scheme is a bit unwieldy in my opinion, and I find the targeting quite finicky.

The plot of the title also gives me pause, as the protagonist is an apprentice of Darth Vader. This naturally implies that you spend at least part of the game doing . . . well . . . evil things. Recent gaming experiences have convinced me that I can commit a small number of acts which conflict with my core lawful goodness (more on that in a future post), but an entire game of villainy is more than my mutant conscience can handle. I have no quarrel with ethical choices in a game (see Knights of the Old Republic to the right), but if that choice is between self-important evil and subservient evil, my superego rises up in protest.

Oddly, I have a feeling that if I pick up Force Unleashed, I will buy the Wii version. I like the prospect of being able to play the game without fear of turning my console into slag, and I can live with lesser graphics for ten fewer dollars.

Game well in the coming days, and may your saber stay focused.

No comments: