Monday, September 1, 2008

Reunion Forthcoming

According the the good folks at United Parcel Service, I should have my new Xbox 360 tomorrow afternoon. Oddly, at the time of the hardware failure, the big white box was the only system getting that much play time, but since its departure, I have spread the love throughout the rest of my entertainment center. The PlayStation 2 has seen quite a bit of use for sessions of Final Fantasy XII and Shadow of the Colossus, and the wife has worked out the Wii with her birthday gift of Dragon Quest Swords. Heck, over the weekend, I fired up my original Xbox to play Jade Empire again! Other than Braid, I am having a hard time thinking about what will get played on the 360 upon its return. Too Human will most likely have to wait until my birthday, and nothing else out there screams for my dollars.

A couple of weekends ago, while I was in North Carolina, I had my first experience with the gaming juggernaut that is Halo 3. While I enjoyed the game, I fail to see the near-universal adulation the title received upon its launch. The campaign seems to assume that I am already passionately in love with Master Chief and his new alien buddy -- perhaps in a move to push more copies of the first two Halo games? What exactly did the gameplay do that BioShock and The Orange Box did not? I did enjoy the option for cooperative campaign play, as I find shooters more entertaining when coordinating maneuvers with a friend.

Game well this week, and may your consoles feel as loved as mine.

No comments: