Monday, September 22, 2008

Return of the Tabletop

Before any video game exploits, I have to mention that I got the chance to play some games with real people recently. My department hosted a dinner for current and prospective majors this weekend, and (along with beverage delivery) my lot was to provide games for entertainment after the meal. We got in a few hands of Fluxx, one of which I won with an inadvertent assist, and we also played a game of Tsuro. My introduction of games outside the mainstream seemed to be a big hit. Go Team Obscura!

Of late, my electronic pastime has been Super Paper Mario. I find this somewhat ironic, because we originally bought the game for my wife's enjoyment. She absolutely loves the Mario roleplaying titles, but the platforming elements of the Wii incarnation of the franchise were a bit too much of a deviation for her tastes. I, however, fell head over heels for the game's style and sense of humor. The way the game skewers fetch quests still makes me chuckle. On the gameplay front, the Whoa Zone now ranks among my all-time favorite game levels -- almost as far up the list as the Milkman Conspiracy from Psychonauts, and that is high praise. I can say that I will most likely not see everything Super Paper Mario has in store, but it does have an enjoyable treasure hunting side quest. After buying maps from a shady dude, you have to go wandering through previous levels, which I find a good test of my memory. What? Do I question your ways of passing time?

Game well this week, and may your saves stand the test of time.

No comments: