Thursday, September 4, 2008

Shock and Dismay

As promised, my Xbox 360 arrived at the house last night. Inside the box with the new console, the good folks at Microsoft also included a free month of Xbox Live Gold membership. Along with a letter apologizing for the inconvenience of having a bricked console, I found some instructions for getting my Xbox Live Arcade game licenses transferred to the new machine. You know what would have been really swell, though? I would have loved for those directions to actually work.

Yes, good readers, for the second time in a calendar year, I cannot access any software my wife downloaded using her Gamertag. No Contra, no UNO, no Geometry Wars, not a single luxury -- like Robinson Crusoe, as primitive as can be. At the moment, I can only play Symphony of the Night, Undertow, and Carcassonne with my personal downloads; the pathetic part is that two of those games were given away for free by Microsoft to palliate the community for issues with Xbox Live service. I have not yet had the time to get on the phone with Microsoft's support staff to be told they cannot help me and to receive eleven thousand apologies. My expectations for the event are quite low, since I had called on the Better Business Bureau by the time my last situation was resolved. Given the rampant hardware failures suffered by the Xbox 360, I cannot help but wonder who decided the license system for Arcade downloadable games was a solid idea. Perhaps by this time next year, my fourth console will actually ship with my license information updated!

Wish me luck in my service call. Game well this weekend, and may your licenses get transferred when they are supposed to be.

No comments: