Sunday, November 16, 2008

'Tis the Season . . .

In my case, I generally lay off game purchases during this stretch of the year to make certain I do not cut off too many holiday gift opportunities. Last year was a glaring exception, fueled by a combination of a mouth-watering slate of long-awaiting titles and a substantially larger income stream. Honestly, since I have yet to have finished most of the top-flight games I purchased last year, this is not really a problem. I can wait until Christmas morning for most titles. However, I might have to go pick up a copy of Tomb Raider: Underworld this week. I mention this because I may very well be the only man in the world who is told to go buy a Tomb Raider game by his wife.

I have pushed forward in Too Human, which has led to another of reviewers' favorite complaints. The game's polarity enemies and their status-inflicting explosions are a serious annoyance, particularly since I cannot distinguish the melee-only and ballistic-only versions on my television. This grievance is not a deal-breaker, thanks to the lack of a serious penalty for death, but I keep thinking that the design team assumed people would be playing their game on a high-definition display. This would also explain the bits of text I must strain to read. As much as I love my hobby, I find it unlikely that I will purchase a new and expensive television to replace a fully-functional standard model.

Game well this week, and may your targeting always strike true.

No comments: